Give a Gift of Stock
Overview of Tax Benefits
- A gift of appreciated securities held for more than one year may provide significant benefits to you as a contributor, such as:
- Entitling you to a charitable income tax deduction for the fair market value of the gifted securities as of the date of gift.
- Eliminating capital gains tax that would ordinarily become due if you had sold the appreciated securities on the open market and donated the proceeds from the sale to charity.
- Claiming your charitable deduction against up to 30% of your adjusted gross income. Any unused deductions can be carried forward over the next five years.
- Providing a way to help you to achieve your long-term financial objective of reducing your income and estate taxes.
If you have securities that have declined in value over the years and are interested in donating them to charity, you may find it more advantageous to sell the securities first and contribute the proceeds to charity as opposed to donating the securities outright. This strategy should allow you to claim a deduction for both the loss from the sale of the securities as well as the charitable gift.
If you are considering donating stock that is subject to a cash merger or tender offer, it’s important for you to note that you will be subject to tax on the capital gain even though the shares were transferred to us before the tender offer became effective.
You should always consult with your financial adviser before initiating a charitable gift arrangement.
Ways to Give Securities
There are two ways to make a donation of securities: by Physical Delivery or through an Electronic Transfer Authorization. Be sure to notify us of your decision.
If you have physical securities, you may deliver them in person or by registered mail to our headquarters. If they are registered in your name, you will need to provide an Irrevocable Stock/ Bond Power Form.
Electronic Transfer Authorization
Your broker can electronically transfer your securities to the Society of St. Vincent de Paul. Because this request must be made in writing, we’ve provided an Electronic Transfer Authorization form.
Notify us of your gift
To ensure that we are able to provide a proper acknowledgement of your gift for income tax purposes, please notify us in advance. You can complete the Gift Notification form, which can be faxed to 503-233-5581 or mailed to:
Society of St. Vincent de Paul
Attn: Charlotte Mulder
PO Box 42157
Portland OR 97242