* CHRISTMAS FOOD BOX REQUESTS: We will begin taking these requests on November 7 (tel: 503-595-2292).
* RENT & UTILITY REQUEST INTERVIEWS BY APPOINTMENT: Starting August 1, walk-ins can schedule interview appointments to avoid long lobby waits. (Details) * REVISED PANTRY SCHEDULE: Starting June 11 - Monday, Wednesday and Friday, from 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM. (Details)

Donating Vehicles


Do you have an unwanted automobile, recreational vehicle, motorcycle, boat or trailer?

How about donating to St. Vincent de Paul and providing food for a family for a week or helping a mother and her children to stay in their home or preventing the electricity from being shut off in an older persons home. All proceeds stay in the Portland area!

St. Vincent de Paul will turn your unwanted vehicle into program dollars. Last year our Emergency Services office provided assistance to over 60,000 adults and children.

Call today to have your car removed from your property and turned into program dollars.

How to Donate a Vehicle

Fill out our online form or contact Veronica at 503-595-2280 during office hours (Mon – Fri, 8:30 AM – 4:00 PM)

Common Questions

• How much can I claim as a deduction?

This is best explained in IRS Publication 4303 “A Donor’s Guide to Vehicle Donations”, last revised in March 2008. (Click here to view it.) In most cases, the maximum you can deduct is the gross sale amount of the vehicle at auction. If the gross sales amount is over $500, a St. Vincent de Paul staff person will call to ask for your Social Security or Taxpayer ID number, otherwise you can’t claim more than $500.

• Do I get a receipt for my donation?

A temporary receipt will be left with you when the vehicle is picked up. This initial acknowledgement will indicate your name and the year, make and model of the vehicle you are donating. A final acknowledgement (including an IRS Form 1098-C) will be mailed to you. The amount of gross proceeds received from your vehicle will be listed on this receipt. This will be your receipt for your charitable contribution.

• What paperwork do I need?

A signed title if you have it. If you don’t have the title, then simply go to the state DMV office and ask for an Application for Replacement Title. The vehicle’s registration card, title or replacement title and keys should be given to the company that picks up your vehicle.

• Does my car have to be running to qualify for donating?

No, but the car must have an engine and be tow-able. However, cars that are in extremely poor condition or far from our tow range may cost more to tow than the value of the vehicle. If this is the case, St. Vincent de Paul might not receive any dollars from your vehicle.

• Do I have to be with vehicle when it’s picked-up?

No. You can make special arrangements when you talk with the tow company.

• What does SVdP do with the donated vehicles?

The vehicles are sold at auction. The funds from vehicle sales are used to provide assistance to clients with food, rent and utilities.

• How much money will SVdP receive?

After the car is sold, towing and administrative costs are deducted, and SVdP will receive the remainder of the proceeds.

 Posted by on July 20, 2011 at 4:14 am